Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused About Google's Catalog, Link Dampening, & No. of Links?
06-19-2017, 11:56 AM
Big Grin Confused About Google's Catalog, Link Dampening, & No. of Links?
I recently received still another 'please help' e-mail from a gentleman named Ian who runs an adventure company in Tanzania (http://www.betheladventure.co.uk ). Ian was concerned about the result of a number of issues including indexing and link dampening, and was eager for help. Regrettably, he had read some relatively misleading articles in the past, so he'd a somewhat confusing understanding of the facets at play. I decided to submit the details of our conversation, since I think he's not alone in his concern and frustration.

Ian's e-mail contains many issues. I have shown each separately below, accompanied by my answer.

Q: When I search for the number of backlinks to my site using 'link:www.betheladventure.co.uk', I see only 23 results. It seems that only 23 of our backlinks have survived Google's dampening link filter. Is there a time delay before they are paid to some site? '

A: Firstly, I think you could have the dampening link filter a little confused. In line with the dampening link filter idea, your links are located and identified by Google, you simply don't get the full benefit from them until confirmed time frame has elapsed. The dampening link filter (if it exists) does not stop links from appearing in Google's results when you search for them. (The only reason your backlinks might not come in a Google search is if Google hasn't yet found the pages containing the links.) Also, do not worry too much about things like the dampening link filter. In the first place, it is definately not proven / accepted fact. Several well regarded SEO authorities don't have confidence in it at all. Moreover, even though it does occur, it only affects those companies together with the budget to generate the large numbers (hundreds or thousands probably) of links reputedly required to trigger it. If your number of backlinks suddenly increases by 20, that's no issue. This unique linklicious.me discount use with has uncountable offensive lessons for when to look at this hypothesis.

And secondly, don't feel everything Google informs you. This poetic linklicious.me tutorial wiki has varied majestic tips for the meaning behind this activity. By looking for 'link:www.betheladventure.co.uk', you usually only see a small proportion of real links to your website. The best way to search for links would be to search for just the URL 'www.bethaladventure.co.uk', then on-the page that displays next, select 'Find web-pages that include the word 'www.bethaladventure.co.uk' .' When you do it in this manner, you'll see all the pages which contain your URL. Generally, the URL will soon be an active link (or at least it should be, and you should ask them to make it so). When you do this search, you'll note that your website has about 169 links, maybe not 23.

Q: Still another question is approximately indexed pages (using site:www.betheladventure.co.uk). To get one more viewpoint, consider having a gander at: linklicious price. I am aware this can be a report of pages which were changed. I had 32, it went down to 28 and it's down to 26 now this morning. Do they only keep the pages for monthly or will there be more to the indexed pages than I realized?

A: The number of indexed pages is simply the number of pages on your own website that Google 'knows about.' Theoretically, the only real time the age of a page is needed is if the page is too young*, i.e. Google lions have not visited it nonetheless, or Google has not updated its list. As to why the reported number of indexed pages is reducing, I suppose it's only a temporary move. The amount of leads to Google's searches varies pretty much constantly.

*Actually, technically speaking, it's been suggested that Google isn't capable of indexing all 11.5 billion pages currently thought to be online (and the 10 million more that are added each day), and that as it indexes new pages, old pages are pushed out of the index. (This is a really rough description of the theory - if it's happening at all, it is apt to be far more difficult than this.) If this is happening, it may explain why the reported number of indexed pages is reducing. Even though I think it's a long-shot, a great way to cope with it's to maintain high quality content, to keep increasing it, to keep generating backlinks, and to create a Google sitemap. To learn more about sitemaps, go-to http://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/login.. To download a free - and very useful - tool for making a sitemap, go to http://johannesmueller.com/gs/..

I know there is lots of confusion surrounding these issues, so I hope you have found this change beneficial. Via is a telling resource for more about where to ponder this enterprise.

Happy indexing!.